Based on the world''s largest corpus of American English, the Cambridge Dictionary of American English provides up-to-date vocabulary, easy-to-understand definitions, helpful usage notes, and examples that show how English is really used. The second edition offers advanced search features and a thesaurus. The audio version features spoken pronunciations for every word.
This is a fully functional trial!
* The most up-to-date dictionary of American English available.
* Over 60,000 meanings and examples are included.
* Organized by meaning, so there''s no guesswork needed to find the exact meaning a student is looking for.
* Full-sentence, corpus-based examples show how English is really used.
* Up-to-date vocabulary ("DSL," "Jihad," "morph," "PDA," "retro," "Wiki") defines the language of today.
* More then 200 usage panels help you avoid errors commonly made in English.
* Usage notes help learners to avoid common mistakes.
* Frequency information helps learners identify the words they need to know.
* Clear definitions make meanings easy-to-understand.
* Guidewords help learners find the meaning they want—fast!
* Full-sentence examples show how English is really used.
A search tool
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
* A quick search of words while you type
* A ''fuzzy filter'' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A ''keyword'' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
* A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
* A ''Favourites'' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
* Your last visited words are all saved in your ''History'', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
* Discover a new word every day with the ''Daily'' feature
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
* See words in context with example sentences