The Third Edition offers new, up-to-date vocabulary (e.g. sex up, speed-dating, whiteboard), new ''mini-collocation'' boxes, and new frequency information to highlight the most important words to learn. The new Cambridge Advanced Learner''s Dictionary gives you everything you need to learn English and pass exams!
This is a fully functional trial!
Over 170,000 words, phrases and examples
* Over 79,800 high-quality English audio recordings with UK and US English pronunciations compiled and recorded by Cambridge University Press
* You will find newly added Illustrations and photos to illustrate the word definitions.
* Common grammar and style and usage labels included
* Examples included in the word definitions show you how to use words in the most natural and fluent way.
* All the important new words that have come into the language (e.g. dirty bomb, lairy, 9/11, clickable)
* Only words from a defining vocabulary used to help make definitions easy to understand
* Over 90,000 examples, mainly full sentences, show you how English is used in context and help you write natural English.
* 25,000 collocations show the way words work together in English
* Automatic recognition of inflected forms
A search tool
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
* A quick search of words while you type
* A ''fuzzy filter'' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A ''keyword'' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
* A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
* A ''Favourites'' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
* Your last visited words are all saved in your ''History'', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
* Discover a new word every day with the ''Daily'' feature
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
* See words in context with example sentences