gempa (Global Earthquake Monitoring Processing Analysis) GmbH, Potsdam, Germany, a spin-off of GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences, presents the Android App EQInfo giving information about the latest earthquake detections.
EQInfo supports the following features:
1. List of latest earthquakes showing magnitude, region, time ago, direction/distance to the earthquake epicenter and detecting agency
2. Earthquake details including overview map. New: Page through solutions of different agencies
3. Map of latest earthquakes
4. Options to filter the earthquake information by magnitude, depth, time and region
5. Configuration of data sources, update intervals, geolocation and unit of measurement
6. Background updates and notifications
7. Sharing of event information
EQInfo retrieves earthquake information from the following agencies:
- GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, http://geofon.gfz-potsdam.de
- European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC), http://www.emsc-csem.org
- United States Geological Survey (USGS), http://www.usgs.gov
- Indonesian Agency for Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG), http://inatews.bmkg.go.id
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca
- Spanisch National Geographic Institute (IGN), http://www.ign.es
- National Observatory of Athens (NOA, Greece), http://www.noa.gr
- Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute (KOERI, Turkey), http://www.koeri.boun.edu.tr
- GNS Science New Zealand, http://www.gns.cri.nz
The user has total control in defining which agencies would have a higher or lower preference. After setting this EQInfo will take care of aggregating the solutions for you, considering your preferences settings.
EQInfo tries to minimize both the data volume and update time. If supported, your filter criteria is summited to the agency for server-side filtering. Also the most compact data format is selected for transmission. Using this approach the amount of data transfered is 5-10 times smaller than fetching an RSS feed. Often the earthquake list of one agency is transfered in not more than 2KB.